We offer 3D mammography (also known as tomosynthesis). This technological advancement helps detect breast cancer in its earliest stages when it’s most treatable. All-digital 3D mammography allows radiologists to see breast tissue detail by taking multiple images of the breast from different angles. These images can be viewed separately or put together as a 3D reconstruction of the breast tissue. Research has shown that this advanced technology may detect up to 40% more cancers than digital mammography alone. The increased precision has decreased the need for repeat tests to gain additional images and has also decreased the number of biopsies needed to rule out disease.
To schedule your mammogram, call 757-312-6137 or book an appointment on our mobile unit.
With 3D mammography, the rate of breast cancer detection increases and the amount of unnecessary return visits for repeat breast screenings is reduced. Depending on the results of your 3D mammogram, some providers will suggest patients follow up with whole breast ultrasound or breast MRI.
Changes due to COVID-19
Effective March 24, 2020 the following will apply:
- Screening mammograms (including walk-ins) will be deferred until April 22.
- Beginning April 8, scheduling will re-evaluate based on the COVID-19 pandemic every two weeks.
- Patients needing a diagnostic mammogram will continue to be scheduled and seen.
- Breast biopsy patients will continue to be scheduled and seen.
- The Diagnostic Center (Jennings Outpatient Center) will adjust hours of operation, closing daily at 5pm and Saturdays. These adjusted hours will be assessed every two weeks during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Please view our COVID-19 Updates Page for more information.