If you’re looking to continue your diabetes education, enroll in Diabetes University today!
Our five-part program is open to all people with diabetes ages 18 and older and their families. An interdisciplinary team of health care professionals will cover nutrition, diabetes, management, foot care, complications, medications, community resources and more. You are welcome to bring a guest to support you during classes and appointments. Feel free to bring food to eat during class. Water and light snacks will be provided. Please dress in layers so you are comfortable with the room temperature.
Most insurance companies should cover the cost of this program.
Call 757-312-6137 to Register!
As part of your complete Diabetes Education, you should attend:
- One individual appointment with a Diabetes Educator (60 minutes)
- One individual appointment with a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (60 minutes)
- Three group classes (2.5 hours each)
101: Diabetes Care Part 1
- What is Diabetes?
- Different Types of Diabetes
- How is it Diagnosed?
- The A1C Test and Estimated Average Glucose
- Insulin Resistance and Insulin Deficiency
- Diabetes Medications: Oral Medications (pills), Diabetes Injectables & Insulin
- Blood Sugar Monitoring
- Coping with Diabetes
- Goal Setting and Behavior Change
102: Diabetes Care Part 2
- Preventing Complications
- Causes of Diabetes Complications—Nerve and Blood Vessel Damage
- Foot Care (taught by a Podiatrist)
- Dental Care (taught by a Dentist)
- Eye Care
- Sick Day Guidelines
- High Blood Sugar and Low Blood Sugar
- Desirable Blood Glucose Levels & A1C Results
- Basic Dietary Guidelines
- Weight Management
- Carbohydrates, Protein and Fat
- Reading a Food Label
- Plate Method of Healthy Eating
- Meal Planning
- What Beverages Can I Drink?
- Dining Out
- Portion Distortion
- Controlling Blood Pressure and Lipids
Two Class Options
Daytime classes will take place on select Tuesdays from 9am - 11:30am at the Lifestyle Health & Fitness Center. To register, call 757-312-6137.
Evening classes will take place on select Mondays from 6pm - 8:30pm at the Lifestyle Health & Fitness Center. To register, call 757-312-6137.
800 Battlefield Blvd.
Chesapeake , VA 23320
800 Battlefield Blvd.
Chesapeake, VA 23320