A Center of Excellence
Our unique, comprehensive program has been named a Center of Excellence (COE) by the National Association for Continence. Designed for both men and women, Chesapeake Regional's Pelvic Health COE includes a dedicated team of surgeons, a pelvic health physical therapist and a program coordinator who work with primary care providers to develop tailored and effective treatment plans for patients.
Our entire program is designed to quickly and comfortably get our patients back to enjoying life.
Services & Specialties
Pelvic floor disorders (PFDs) can be uncomfortable and embarrassing to talk about, but they are common. In fact, more than one-third of all women and one-fourth of all men in the United States will experience related symptoms in their lifetime. Innovative diagnostics help us obtain the most accurate answers, even with the most complicated pelvic issues.
Offering on-site Diagnostic Testing
- Multi-channel urodynamics, including video-urodynamics
- Urethral and anal sphincter electromyography
- Neurophysiologic studies (e.g., electromyography, sacral reflexes, terminal motor latencies and pudendal nerve testing)
- Endoscopy (cystoscopy, urethroscopy, anoscopy, proctoscopy, cystourethroscopy and colonoscopy)
- Imaging studies (e.g., fluoroscopy, ultrasound, MRI, CT)
- Pelvic floor muscle testing
- Anal manometry
- Anorectal sensory assessment
- Measurement of rectal compliance
- MRI Defecography / Dynamic MRI
- Motility studies
The following website may help you to define some of these clinical terms http://www.nafc.org/glossary/.
The method of treatment used depends on individual diagnostic results. We offer our patients progressive treatment and rehabilitation options designed to produce results. Pelvic physical therapy is often recommended before or in conjunction with surgical treatment. Treatment plans may include any variety of options, including surgical solutions:
- Electrical stimulation
- Interferential stimulation
- Cold laser therapy
- Pelvic floor exercises
- Myofascial release
- Trigger point release
Our minimally invasive methods include surgical options which allow for smaller incisions, a speedier recovery and possibly even less discomfort:
- Laparoscopy: This type of surgery allows surgeons to perform surgery through keyhole-sized surgical openings in the abdomen using a camera.
- Robot-Assisted Surgery: An alternative to both traditional open surgery and conventional laparoscopy, our da Vinci System enables surgeons to perform complex and delicate procedures through very small incisions with unmatched precision.
844 Battlefield Blvd. North
Chesapeake , VA 23320
229 Clearfield Avenue
Virginia Beach , VA 23462
229 Clearfield Avenue
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
Awards & Accreditations
Designated a Center of Excellence by the National Association for Continence