2023 Bra-ha-ha® results are in!
CHESAPEAKE, Va. - The Chesapeake Regional Health Foundation celebrated its 16th annual Bra-ha-ha® Awards Show & Auction tonight, Friday, Oct. 13, 2023, at the Delta Hotels by Marriott – Chesapeake. There were nearly 400 people in attendance for the inspirational event where winners of this year’s bra decorating competition were announced and a $1,000 check was presented to the grand prize winner.
The Bra-ha-ha is a “Seriously Uplifting” event, featuring bras created to raise awareness of breast cancer, to honor those who have won their fight, and to remember those who have lost their battle. Winners are chosen by a panel of local judges and modeled by breast cancer survivors during the final minutes of the evening.
This year’s winners
There were 151 bras competing and 12 bras recognized:
• Grand Prize: Wonderland by Dollar Tree
• Most Creative: Breast Cancer Sucks! by Julie Przytula, Deborah Jones, Tara Schultz, Anna Holewinski and Beth Dozier of Cavalier Ford at Chesapeake Square
• Best Craftsmanship: Pick a Date and Get Squeezed by Jamie Riggs
• Most Inspirational: What it Means to Be a Black Woman by Caleb Carver, Grassfield High School
• Most Humorous: It’s A Me - Mammogram! by HCI & CSV Community, Heartland Construction & Comfort Systems of Virginia
• Best General Entry: Fabulous Flo-mingo by Amy Fitchett and Linda Hitchings
• Best Seasonal Entry: Trick or Teats by Shawnda Bentley, by Evelyn’s Wildlife Refuge
• Best School Entry – Adult: Gotta Catch ‘Em All…Early! by Liz Lotts, Buts Road Primary School
• Best School Entry (14 & above): Bejeweled Bra by Hickory High School
• School Entry (13 & under): Colors of Cancer by Briley Wills
• Best CRH Staff Entry: Squawk for Breast Cancer Awareness: Spreading Wings of Support by Denise Zelms, Chesapeake Regional Healthcare
• Best Broadway Inspired: Smash Your Masquerade of Fear by Cathi Knollenberg, The Yarn Girls
• Honorable Mention: It takes many hands to find a cure for Breast Cancer by Marlee Warren
Visit the bra art exhibit
The public is invited to view all bras in this year’s competition during an exhibit held at Lynnhaven Mall, in Virginia Beach, from Monday, Oct. 16-31, 2023. The inspirational bra art exhibit will be on display in the center court.
Survivors are invited
Breast cancer survivors are invited to attend The Bra-ha-ha Celebration at Lynnhaven Mall on Saturday, Oct. 28, from 9-11 a.m. The free event is open to the public and meant to celebrate breast cancer survivors and the people who support them. Go to Brahaha.org to register.
Need a free mammogram?
Since its inception, The Bra-ha-ha® has raised over $2 million dollars. Net proceeds are used to help provide breast health screenings to uninsured and under-insured community members and to fund advanced breast health technology at Chesapeake Regional Healthcare. Free mammograms are offered year-round to those who qualify. To make an appointment, call 757-312-6536 or go to ChesapeakeMammo.com for more information.