Tropical Energy Balls: Easy Back to School Breakfast
If your typical weekday morning includes rushing the kids to the bus having just managed to find a missing shoe,
backpack and hair tie, try making breakfast ahead of time with this recipe.
Tropical Energy Balls
Start to finish: 15 minutes
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1/2 cup wheat germ or ground flax seed
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, plus extra for rolling
- 1/4 cup dried pineapple, chopped
- 3 tablespoons macadamia nuts
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons protein powder, optional
- Stir all ingredients together until combined. Add protein powder if desired.
- With wet hands, form a tablespoon of the mixture into a ball. If mixture is not holding together as desired,
add additional honey until balls hold shape.
- Roll in shredded coconut if desired.
- Repeat with remaining mixture to make 36 balls.
Lisa Anderson is the Clinical Nutrition Manager at Aramark Healthcare and Chesapeake Regional Healthcare.