Continue Your Diabetes Education
If you’re looking to continue your diabetes education, enroll in Diabetes University today! Our three-part program is open to all diabetes patients and their families. A multidisciplinary team of health care professionals will cover nutrition, diabetes, management, foot care, complications, medications, community resources and more.
Most insurance companies will cover the cost of this class.
Call 757-312-6132 to register
Diabetes University Classes & Support
As part of your complete Diabetes Education, you should attend:
- One individual appointment with a Diabetes Nurse (60 minutes)
- One individual appointment with a Dietitian (60 minutes)
- Three group classes (2.5 hours each)
- 101: Diabetes Care 1
- 102: Diabetes Care 2
- 103: Nutrition
101: Diabetes Care 1
- What is Diabetes?
- Different Types of Diabetes
- How is it Diagnosed?
- The A1C Test and Estimated Average Glucose
- Insulin Resistance and Insulin Deficiency
- Diabetes Medications: Oral Medications (pills), Diabetes Injectables & Insulin
- Blood Sugar Monitoring
- Coping with Diabetes
- Goal Setting and Behavior Change
102: Diabetes Care 2
- Preventing Complications
- Causes of Diabetes Complications—Nerve and Blood Vessel Damage
- Foot Care (taught by a Podiatrist)
- Dental Care (taught by a Dentist)
- Eye Care
- Sick Day Guidelines
- Exercise Guidelines
- High Blood Sugar and Low Blood Sugar
- Desirable Blood Glucose Levels & A1C Results
- Basic Dietary Guidelines
- Weight Management
- Carbohydrates, Protein and Fat
- Reading a Food Label
- Plate Method of Healthy Eating
- Meal Planning
- What Beverages Can I Drink?
- Dining Out
- Portion Distortion
- Controlling Blood Pressure and Lipids
*You are welcome to bring a guest to support you at any/all of the classes and appointments. Feel free to bring food and eat during class. Water and light snacks will be provided. Please dress in layers so you are comfortable with the room temperature.
2018 Daytime Classes
Daytime classes will take place on Tuesdays from 9am - 11:30am at the Lifestyle Center. To register, call 757-312-6137.
2018 Evening Classes
Evening classes will take place on Mondays from 6pm - 8:30pm at the Lifestyle Center. To register, call 757-312-6137.