Chesapeake Regional's rehabilitation services department offers a wide variety of specialty services and a comprehensive approach to the treatment of many orthopedic and neuromuscular conditions. Our outpatient staff includes 11 physical therapists, three physical therapist assistants, an occupational therapist and a speech therapist. We provide many specialty services including:
- McKenzie-based approach to orthopedic spinal disorders
- The McKenzie Method was developed in the 1960s by Robin McKenzie, a physical therapist in New Zealand. In his practice, he noted that extending the spine could provide significant pain relief to certain patients and allow them to return to their normal daily activities.
- With the McKenzie approach, physical therapy and exercise used to extend the spine can help "centralize" the patient's pain by moving it away from the extremities (leg or arm) to the back. Back pain is usually better tolerated than leg pain or arm pain, and the theory of the approach is that centralizing the pain allows the source of the pain to be treated rather than the symptoms.
- Clinician who is board-certified through the American Physical Therapy Association
- Manual therapy including joint mobilization, muscle energy techniques and myofascial release
- Treatment of hand/wrist injury/surgery
- Certified Ergonomic Assessment Specialist
- Certified Athletic Trainer
- Golf fitness